The Game of Life For Women: And How to Play It is a self-help book written by Florence Scovel Shinn. The original version of the book was published in 1925. However, the revised version for women was published in 2003.
I read the book about two months ago and I learned a lot from it. I decided to make this post with some of the takeaways. I came across some points that really changed my perspective on life. Reading this book made me more self-aware as well as more intentional about the things I do.
Check out some points below:
- You should start your day with positive affirmations
- Every affirmation should be worded carefully – Be mindful of what you affirm and how you affirm it. Sometimes you may have to be more specific or cut some words out.
- “No one is your enemy, no one is your friend, everyone is your teacher.” – Everyone serves a purposes in your life. They have different roles some may be labeled as a friend or enemy on the surface level. However, it is important to remember that there is always something to learn from each person you encounter in life. It may not be about them per se but it could be learning about yourself or how to handle certain situations.
- It is vital to become impersonal and learn what each person has to teach – What I took from this is that it important to remove all your personal feelings and learn whatever life is trying to teach regardless of who the lesson is coming from. This is something I’m currently working on because it’s kind of hard to learn something when it comes from somebody you’re not too fond of so that could be a professor, a peer or anyone really. The main thing is to put your feelings aside temporarily so that you can learn, focus and move accordingly.
- “Nothing, but fear and doubt stands between a woman and her highest ideals as well as the desires of her heart.” – In sum, there is nothing that can interfere with anything that a woman sets out to do except for herself. Don’t be your own worst enemy.